Updated Tuesday, 2/25/2020:
Here are the latest developments about the Coronavirus outbreak:
- Asia, Europe and the Middle East have reported new outbreaks, sparking fears of a global pandemic. The spread of the virus in China seems to be slowing.
- “We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” a C.D.C. official said.
- United States Federal Official states, “Not if, but when” for Coronavirus in the United States
On Monday, February 24th, the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 1,000 points as cases of the Coronavirus escalated in South Korea and Italy.
We’ll bring you live updates about the Coronavirus on this page.
Latest Coronavirus developments:
- 409 new cases of the coronavirus and 150 new deaths from China as of EOD Sunday.
- Total confirmed cases: 77,150.
- Total death toll: 2,592.
- 398 new cases came from Hubei province.
- WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus discussed why now is the time to prepare.
- On Monday, South Korea announced 833 confirmed cases, death occurred in 7 cases.
- New cases were reported by Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq and Bahrain.
- Italy is seeing a crop of new cases along the region as well.
- 54 cases (up from 34 cases on Friday) of the Coronavirus in the United States have currently been reported.
All of these cases come from travelers who had visited Asia. As the C.D.C. reported, all new cases have come from passengers flown back to the United States by the State Department.
The majority of these cases are passengers from the cruise ship known as the Diamond Princess, docked in Japan. These passengers are now quarantined in Texas and California.
While more Coronavirus cases are expected in the United States, there have been zero fatalities.
To help understand the Coronavirus, how it spreads, as well as symptoms, visit the C.D.C.
We’ll update this page daily as new developments come in.