“I wasn’t sure whether or not to share this because I’m still not over it. I still feel guilty and I am still shaking. But I thought rather then beat myself up, I will raise awareness.
Most of my friends have kids, so I hope I can at least save another from going through this.
My daughter my Maya is 2.5 years old. She has all these little toys that she plays with under strict supervision. She likes to line them up, feed them, put them in little beds, etc. She’s always usually so sensible with them and she had stopped putting things in her mouth a good year ago. I know they are from 3+ but absolutely all her toys are and is there really that much of a difference between a 3-year-old and a little girl who is 3 in a few months?!
I strongly believe what happened could happen to a child of any age, which is why I’m sharing.
Anyway, last night, she somehow managed to smuggle one up to bed with her. She must have put it in her mouth and fell asleep with it there. So, imagine this. I’m just lying, feeding my 11-month-old next to her and I hear a weird gargling noise.
I immediately bolt upright and look into her mouth to see this tiny toy at the back of her throat. I quickly yell to my partner. He’s there within seconds, telling me to phone an ambulance. So, I’m screaming words that don’t even make sense down the phone to 911 and he is trying to dislodge this toy. It’s not coming out.
He has tried everything and it’s not budging. He flips her back over and blood pours from her throat. Right at that moment, I thought she was dead. This must be a dream, this can’t be happening. As soon as Damion saw the blood, he literally got his finger to the back of her throat and pulled it out.
The ambulance came and took her in, she’s fine. She probably has cuts in her throat where the toy was lodged and she was so very distressed after. I can’t stop thinking, ‘What if?’ What if she was lifeless? She was so nearly gone.
Obviously all said toys are now in the trash. She will be spot checked every night. I feel like the worst mom in the world right now. Please be careful.
Also, I’m not saying it’s Kinder Egg’s fault at all. It could have happened with any small toy and a child of any age. It just happened to be this particular toy in question. A freak accident. Thank you so much for reading.”
From podcasts to video shows, parenting resources to happy tears – join the Love What Matters community and subscribe on YouTube.
This story was written by Maddy Rose and originally appeared here. Submit your own story here and be sure to subscribe to our free email newsletter for our best stories.
Read more stories like this:
‘We were watching a movie and eating popcorn. He had small choking episode but was fine. We didn’t see anything come out, so we assumed he swallowed it.’
‘Mason attempted the choking challenge he saw on social media. It went horribly wrong. Nothing could be done to bring Mason back.’
Do you know someone who could benefit from reading this? SHARE this story on Facebook with family and friends.