How can you ensure you’re engaging in enlivened conversations during the holidays? With the right holiday conversation starters, you can avoid uncomfortable situations while fostering strong connections that will last well into the new year.
After all, the holiday season is a time for everyone to come together and appreciate what they have in their lives. Those warm feelings of togetherness while expressing gratitude can be an instant mood-lifter.
Engaging in positive conversations that are both thoughtful and build connections is extremely important during this time of year. However, it can be too easy to weave your way into less-than-desirable topics that don’t elicit good feelings.
You also may experience awkward small talk with family members or friends you don’t know very well and only see a few times per year. Don’t fret, as these conversation starters for any occasion this holiday will be sure to reduce your stress and open up a meaningful conversation, and allow you to enjoy every party you attend.
Conversation Starters For Any Holiday Event
Whether you are attending an office party or an event with close friends, these holiday conversation starters are perfect for engaging with everyone, regardless of the holiday they celebrate.
- Tell me about some of your favorite memories from this year.
- What are you looking forward to next year?
- Which [book, podcast, TV show, etc] have you enjoyed most this year?
- What kind of holiday decorator are you?
- Which holiday traditions does your family have or did you have growing up? What is your favorite family tradition?
- What is a gift you’re most excited to give this year?
- What was your most bizarre holiday purchase?
- What was the most interesting thing you learned this year?
- What new hobby did you start this year or would like to start next year?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
Christmas Conversation Starters
You can’t go wrong chatting about all the joys of the Christmas season with fellow party-goers. These thoughtful conversation starters can help you dig a little deeper and learn something new even if you’ve known the person for many years.
- What is your favorite Christmas scent?
- What is the most meaningful Christmas gift you’ve ever received?
- What is the first Christmas you can remember and what sticks out to you most about it?
- Which Christmas movie (or song) is your favorite and what do you love about it?
- If you could indulge in only one type of Christmas cookie for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
Hanukkah Conversation Starters
Hanukkah is the celebration of an incredible miracle and, with that in mind, you can engage in plenty of thought-provoking holiday conversations.
- What is the biggest miracle you’ve witnessed in your life?
- What is the first Hanukkah you can remember and what sticks out to you most bout it?
- When did you have the best latkes and who made them for you?
- Which Hanukkah song is your favorite and what do you love about it?
- What was the most meaningful Hanukkah gift you’ve ever received?
Kwanzaa Conversation Starters
A holiday that focuses heavily on core principles can be a wonderful way to create deep conversation topics for the holidays.
- What is the first Kwanzaa you can remember and what sticks out to you most bout it?
- What was the most meaningful Kwanzaa gift you’ve ever received?
- What is your favorite dish to eat during Karamu?
- Which of the core principles do you identify with most?
- Which small business do you enjoy shopping with most?
Kid-Specific Holiday Conversation Starters
For family-friendly conversation starters that will keep the creative juices flowing with the children around you, these topics are sure to be a hit with kids and adults.
- If you could be famous for something, what would it be?
- If you could eat only one food on this dinner table (or at this event/party) for an entire year, which one would it be?
- Which gift are you most excited about?
- If you could have any superpower, what would you choose and why?
- Who were you most looking forward to seeing this holiday season?
We hope these conversation prompts can help get those meaningful chats started!
This article was written exclusively for Love What Matters by Kate Fann. Be sure to subscribe to our free email newsletter for our best stories.
Read more stories like this:
Do you know someone who could benefit from reading this? SHARE this story on social media with family and friends.