“Friendship looks a little different in your 30s than it used to.
– Now it looks like hanging out together on the bleachers at baseball games.
– Now it looks like ‘What kind of concealer have you been using? I need a good one.’
– Now it looks like a quick hug in the parking lot at school pickup time.
– Now it looks like ‘Hey, how was your mom’s surgery? I’ve been praying for you.’
– Now it looks like group texts that make you laugh out loud.
– Now it looks like ‘Ok, I’m coming, but I’m so tired I may fall asleep right in this glass of wine.’
– Now it looks like half-conversations at birthday parties that keep getting interrupted by screaming kiddos.
– Now it looks like ‘Was that really 5 years ago? Seems like yesterday.’
– Now it looks like hiding in your closet for a 3 minute conversation on the phone.
– Now it looks like ‘Hey, why don’t y’all grab lunch and come hang out while the baby naps?’
– Now it looks like quick little chats in the aisles at Target.
– Now it looks like ‘Girl, I know. I’ve been there too, and it is so hard. I’m here for you.’
– Now it looks like Marco Polo messages and Snapchat pictures and tagging each other in memes on Facebook.
– Now it looks like ‘I dropped off a cup of coffee and a box of cookies on your front porch.’
– Now it looks like ‘I’ll come, but only if I can wear stretchy pants.’
– Now it looks like ‘I’m not free until 2026.’
– Now it looks like ‘I miss you’ and meaning it with your whole heart.
Whatever you have to do, however you have to do it — make time for your friendships. Make time for the people who feel like home.”
This story was submitted to Love What Matters by Amy Weatherly. The article originally appeared here. Follow Amy on Twitter here. Submit your story here, and be sure to subscribe to our best love stories here.
Provide beauty and strength for other women. SHARE this story on Facebook with your friends and family.