‘It looks like a harmless weed.’: Mom warns of poison hemlock after daughter suffers severe reaction

More Stories like:

“This is probably the most important story I’ve ever shared online.

But I couldn’t waste another minute not telling other families about this so they can be informed too.

Especially because it could save a life if you are just a bit informed.

Please read this and take it seriously.

I’m literally begging you, for the safety of your child.

Yesterday, my 6-year-old daughter started to get a rash on her face.

little girl suffering from poison hemlock
Courtesy of Chavana Neuweg

She has always had bad allergies to bugs, bees, and plants, but this was spreading quickly.

This was not our first run-in with a bad ‘rash’ with her, so we did what we knew on how to treat it. (Benadryl, cold compress, oatmeal baths, etc.)

The rash kept spreading and swelling.

By this morning, my daughter’s eye, ear, and entire face was so swollen and covered in this blistery rash.

She was having trouble breathing, acting lethargic, and was just completely miserable.

the body reaction to poison hemlock
Courtesy of Chavana Neuweg

We took her to the doctor and they gave her prednisone for poison.

At this point, we still weren’t sure what and where she could have come into contact with the poison.

By this evening the rash was still continuing to spread and her face was still extremely swollen.

She barely talked at all and slept on and off all day.

We decided to do a walk around our property to look for any plants that could have given her this bad of a reaction.

And then…we found it.

And wow were we surprised.

Our property (and all of our neighbor’s properties) are lined with hundreds of very dangerous plants called POISON HEMLOCK.

poison hemlock face reaction
Courtesy of Chavana Neuweg

After a quick search (which turned into hours of research) we quickly found out what we were dealing with, which is worse than we ever expected.

Our daughter smelled the top of this ‘flower,’ ingesting it and causing one of the worst poison reactions I have ever seen.

She is still in rough shape as I type this.

This plant is DEADLY.

It’s considered one of the absolute worst and deadliest plants in America.

It looks like a harmless weed but can grow over 10 feet tall.

You will find it often along creeks, railroads, and ditches.

eye closed shut from poison hemlock
Courtesy of Chavana Neuweg

The plant is unlike many others because it affects the nervous system and can cause nerve and muscle paralysis, vomiting, nausea, coma, muscle pain, seizures, convulsions, loss of speech, rapid heart rate, and much more.

This plant is so bad that you have to turn it into the state when or if you find it and they have to dispose of it because it’s actually illegal to do it yourself.

Also, never burn it!

It could cause the poison to become airborne.

I’m not posting this to scare you.

But please educate yourselves and your babies on dangerous plants and trees because it is so so important!

Please send some positive vibes our way as we try to get this under control and also take care of our baby girl.”

little girl sleeping off poison hemlock reaction
Courtesy of Chavana Neuweg

This story was submitted to Love What Matters  by Chavana Neuweg. Submit your own story here and be sure to subscribe to our free email newsletter for our best stories, and YouTube for our best videos.

Read more stories like this:

‘As far as I’m concerned, they’re three angels.’: Brave teens rescue residents from burning retirement home building

‘I wouldn’t be here if she wasn’t in the house.’: 9-year-old hero saves parents from carbon monoxide poisoning with clever trick

Camera Captures Heart-Stopping Moment Choking Infant Is Rescued

‘Gunner and his friend took a percocet to get ‘high.’ They went to sleep, and never woke up.’: Teen poisonined by Fentanyl-laced percocet pill, ‘I’d do anything for one more hug’

Do you know someone who could benefit from reading this? Please SHARE this story on Facebook with family and friends.

 Share  Tweet